The Mediterranean Archaeological Trust invites applications for grants, made on a competitive basis, for expenses in 2019 – 2020, in the preparation for final publication of material from archaeological excavation or fieldwork in the Mediterranean world, excluding:
- subventions to publishers,
- publication of material not from a specific excavation, and
- publication of material presented in symposia.
Within the terms of the Trust, priority may be given to publication of Bronze Age sites. Grants for any amount, however small, will be considered, provided they expedite publication. The grants do not normally exceed £2,000.
Applications should be submitted via completing this Microsoft Word document: Grant_app_form_MAT_2019.
Please provide all the information requested on the form and send it by e-mail attachment no later than 31 January 2019, to:
Please follow the instructions on the form, taking care to indicate the importance of the site, your qualifications, other sources of support, and the present or planned status and place of publication. The references (which are essential) should be sent directly by the referees to the same e-mail address and must meet the deadline of 31 January.
Successful applicants will be informed in April 2019, and it is essential that a report on the use of the grant is submitted by 30 November 2019. Failure to do so will mean that grant applications for the following three years will not be considered.
Additional guidelines for applicants and referees are available on the application form and are summarised below.
Applicants and their referees are encouraged to:
- Be succinct.
- Explain the importance of the material.
- Record any existing publication.
- Give a detailed breakdown of necessary costs; economical programmes will be favoured – e.g., not expensive ‘inking-ins’ or unjustified photography and analyses.
- Mention any sources of grants received for the project, past and current.
- Give a brief account of the applicant’s credentials.
- Give a realistic programme for publication.
- Ensure that referees respond with comment on the importance of the project and qualifications of the applicant.